Happy Earth Day! May we all take a moment to appreciate this sacred planet and each living being that we share it with. And most importantly may we all take a moment to reflect on what we as individuals can do to preserve, protect and love it.
So cauliflower “rice” may not technically taste much like rice… But before you call my bluff, consider how much better you feel when you eat a heaping bowl of cauliflower versus a heaping bowl of white rice. You can eat WAY more of this nutrient-dense dish rather than your average bowl of rice. Now if that’s not reason enough to make the switch, I don’t know what is.
I like cauliflower…A lot. Cauliflower crust pizza. Cauliflower mash. Cauliflower soup. Roasted cauliflower with cumin.… I’ve tried at all and the versatility of one of my favorite vegetables really can’t be matched. But recently I’ve been taking the simpler route due to some crazy amounts of travel these last two months (Asia, a few music festivals, Boston soon)… I’ve been doing so much moving around these days, it’s been slightly unsettling. Fantastic, yes. But I’ll admit having a day-to-day schedule can feel pretty good for a while. Truth be told I haven’t been as crafty in the kitchen as I had hoped to be. But you just gotta flow with it sometimes. Life never stops, does it?
Luckily this “rice” dish is really easy to make… Like really easy. On days when I’m in a rush I’ll just throw in a couple florets in the food processor with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and nutritional yeast. So simple yet soo0o0o good… Takes ten minutes tops.
But I was feeling fancy and had some ingredients lying around that needed to be used up before I head back to Boston for a little east coast lovin’. (been missing my dogs way too much lately)..
And despite cauliflower’s rougher consistency in it’s raw form, this dish is luscious and creamy thanks to some fresh mango and avocado. Add in some spiced pumpkin seeds, couple of figs, sesame oil and a few other ingredients and you’ve got a flavor-packed party going on in your mouth. A little sweet. A little tangy. A little salty. A lot of goodness.
Mango Sesame Cauliflower Rice + Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 orange + 1 lime
- small chunk of fresh ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 mango
- a few figs (or raisins, dates, prunes etc.)
- himalayan salt + pepper
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 a head of purple cabbage, chopped
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- sprinkle of sesame seeds // shredded coconut
- Chop up the cauliflower into smaller florets. Pulse in the food processor until a “rice” forms — be careful not to over process. Transfer the rice to a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the purple cabbage, figs, mint and sesame seeds to the food processor. Mix until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the cauliflower. Add in the purple cabbage, figs and mint. Toss until well combined.
- Top with sesame seeds/coconut.
For the pumpkin seeds:
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- Combine all ingredients. (Optional: Dehydrate for a few hours or toast them over the stove)